Today we speak in remembrance of those who have fallen in battle to serve their country and we discuss healing the painful wounds of war.
My father Jack Gutman, one of the last surviving veterans of the Invasion of Normandy, joins us today to share the story of his 66 year-long battle with PTSD and how he got the help he so desperately needed to regain control of his life.
• Facts about Memorial Day that you may have never heard before
• What happens to many survivors that don’t fall in battle
• What PTSD (Post-traumatic stress disorder) looks like
• How PTSD can affect anyone who’s experienced a significant traumatic event
• Some of the symptoms of someone suffering from PTSD
• Addictive habits and self-medicating methods that often develop from trauma
• Different types of treatment available today for PTSD
• The events of D-Day and the Battle of Okinawa that changed Jack Gutman’s life forever
• Why many people are afraid to talk about PTSD or may be unaware that they’re suffering