How do you feel about medication?
What about medication for PTSD or trauma symptoms?
Most people struggle with the thought of medication and having to take it for long periods of time. When I see clients struggling with chronic PTSD which interferes with functionality, I often mention medication as a first-line treatment for them. However, in cases where PTSD is more acute, medication may not be needed.
Medication can sometimes work against the counseling and psychotherapeutic process. It can also complicate matters when someone is over or even under medicated. A good therapist and psychiatrist can help PTSD sufferers figure out what is best for them and the symptoms they are experiencing.
In this video, I will briefly explore the challenges of medicating trauma symptoms. I will also explain the process of seeking medication and the challenges of treating PTSD symptoms.
I welcome your comments, questions, and experiences.
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THE VIDEO:
SSRIs and suicidality: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3353604/
Forgive me for forgetting to list “DTs” in the video! Lol But here’s an article: https://www.the-hospitalist.org/hospitalist/article/123281/dealing-dts.
1. Neurobiology of trauma https://reachcounseling.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Neurobiology-of-the-Brain-Casey-Hanson-Ph.D-LPc-MSCP.pdf
2. Traumatic bonding https://blogs.psychcentral.com/caregivers/2015/09/9-signs-of-traumatic-bonding-bonded-to-the-abuser/
3. Trauma Counseling https://www.betterhelp.com/advice/trauma/what-is-trauma-therapy-and-how-does-it-work/
4. Journaling https://psychcentral.com/lib/the-healing-power-of-writing-a-therapists-guide-to-using-journaling-with-clients/
5. Healing from trauma https://youtu.be/3QziN-ftYtk
Learn what this 4-week series is all about:
I’m Támara, a licensed and nationally certified mental health therapist, with over 11 years experience. I specialize in helping children, teens, and families with mental illness. I also treat psychological trauma in children, teens, and adults.
If you’d like to contact me, you may email me at email@example.com.
Mail me stuff!
PO Box 113
Bridgeville, PA 15017
Twitter – @therapisttee
Website – www.anchoredinknowledge.com
Blog – blogs.psychcentral.com/caregivers
#Trauma #medication #tamarahilllpc
*New videos Mondays & Fridays with a periodic bonus video on Wednesdays!